If you could change the coC...

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Phil

If you could change the coC...

Post by Phil »

If you had the ability to make changes to the fundamental coC what would they be?
B.H.

Re: If you could change the coC...

Post by B.H. »

They need to start praying towards Mecca and having their scripture readings from the Quran.

Other than that, the best thing to do would be for them to go from having services to being defunct congregations.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Memtiger

Post by Memtiger »

Adopt the christian calendar, advent, easter, all saints, stuff like that.

A four part study on I Corinthians in December does not cut it.

Keep the music tradition of acapella, sunday morning, I like it but defang the crap about it being sin, develop their youth with music programs such as piano and woodwinds and make them play at wed night or sunday nights on occasion in the service.
no one should panic cause there is a piano in the hallway cause there was a wedding yesterday.

Christmas services

Women playing 50 50 role in all services. Including deacons and elders.

Elders must keep all business open and transparent and be accountable.
Lev

Post by Lev »

Be ecumenical. Seriously. Acknowledge that Christianity does not exist only within the COC. The traditions of acapella singing and weekly communion would be fine if they were acknowledged as such. There is room within Christianity for believer's baptism by immersion, male-only leadership, strict MDR, and the rest of the more theologically-based COC attributes. But there is no room in the church for exclusivity to the degree that it exists within the COC. Get rid of that, become ecumenical, acknowledge that you're one of many denominations of Christianity and we'll be OK.

Lev
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

Some needed changes ...

Add a big ol' gaudy steeple with a loud bell, grab some fancy ostentatious stained glass windows depicting the 12 apostles, a backward collar and bright purple robe for the preacher complete with a televangelist haircut, a bunch of robed choir singers standing in front accompanied by a six-piece christian rock band, fire all the elders and replace them with women, install pew kneeling pads, and replace the invitation song with a mourners bench for added entertainment.
Unity in diversity
ena

Post by ena »

To begin with I am not sure Restoration Theology is right. While at times the original church became corrupt there is no way to prove that what happens centrally corrupts all congregations under one organization. Even within the CoC not everyone observed the party line. I know many that were in effect living double lives. I myself engaged in such to stay out of the line of fire. I grew sick of feeling one way but having to keep up appearances. I no longer live that way. I know of a friend who wished to stay but was confronted with divorce. He got what he called a Christian Divorce. There is no such thing except in the CoC. They don't recognize that under Jewish law divorce was allowed but not preferred. It is in the sense that I approach this problem. Divorce is far better that two people being forced together. I have witnessed this over many yearss and it does not yield fruitful results. If anything it massively damages any children that grow up under this and massively stunts growth between the couple. I realize that many leave the CoC over this situation. It is hard enough without the gossips in the church getting involved. Let's pull it and out find out who was guilty of adultery. I know such often results in decisions based on lies. Otherwise does it matter or is the marriage just over. Most simply go on their way elsewhere. Better to resolve a problem than to live in it. Sometimes things don't work and no amount of wishing a hoping will solve the problem. I liked what one pastor said. " It's not like its the unpardonable sin." Enough for now.
ena

Post by ena »

What I am saying is that MDR covers many issues and it is unwise to pass judgement because it is that complex. I leave it to God.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Why on earth would I bother? With any luck, it will wither away and disappear entirely. And all the people would go to nice normal churches.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.