If you could change the coC...

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
lvmaus

Re: If you could change the coC...

Post by lvmaus »

Struggler wrote:I went to a church that practiced visitation by showing up unannounced. It was kinda like the cops showing up to question someone. But, they set aside a specific night of the week so anyone wise to the routine knew not to be home or answer the door.
Uninvited group visitation is the pits ... why would anyone want visitors when you know the only reason they knock on your door is they feel obligated, under pressure, or just plain nosy!
Unity in diversity
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

I once brought up the strict attendance policy in a business meeting and said that in all honesty, it needed to go. Just as I expected they would, they looked at me like I had 3 heads, LOL. One then asked "well, why do YOU think it should go?" I replied "well,if someone has to be kicked out every time they missed a service, then nobody will be here". Well, of course, I was being facetious by saying "kicked out", but they knew what I meant. Then, one guy actually said "I tell you, if there was actually a rule where missing a service got you removed from the congregation, then I would still be here, because, let's face it, I am NEVER out". So, I said "well, you would be here by yourself". Then, the preacher man chimed in and said "well, I'd be here too". I replied "no, you wouldn't, because you are out on occasion" He got flustered and said "yes, I would be here, because somebody has to preach". I then asked "so in other words, you would be exempt from such a rule" and he replied "well, I guess so". So I said "well, in that scenario, the two of you would be the only ones here, because everyone else got kicked out for missing". The preacher nodded that that was correct and also said that if we were commanded to throw people out for missing then we would do it. I asked one more time, how exactly he would be exempt simply for just "being the preacher". He then said "next item!" :D
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
KLP

Post by KLP »

OneStrike_ur_out wrote:I once brought up the strict attendance policy in a business meeting and said that in all honesty, it needed to go. Just as I expected they would, they looked at me like I had 3 heads, LOL. ...
Because you were under the false impression that the business meeting was a place to interact as peers in honest and open discussion. The last thing open for discussion is tradition/doctrine. Your input was money, labor, and/or time...nothing else (such as your brain) is desired.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

I never missed a service other than illness or vacation (when we always attended elsewhere) until I was in college. First time I missed was a Wednesday night to hear a speaker on campus, sponsored by the Wesleyan fellowship.

If anyone ever missed a service, the questioning afterward could sound more benign, as in, "We missed you Wednesday night." Or, it was often, "Where were you Sunday night?" These weren't asked out of concern, it was more a matter of attendance is the end-all and be-all. The first time I stopped going on Wednesday nights was when all the kids in my class moved up to the next one. About a year later, I was asked to teach that same group when their teacher needed a break. I taught again for a time. When the last of those graduated, I told the people in charge of classes that I was stepping aside. Never went back on a Wednesday night after that, and that has been years ago. It is SO nice having an extra evening, although one or two of my C of C co-workers will invite me to their services. I politely decline.
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

Struggler wrote:I never missed a service other than illness or vacation (when we always attended elsewhere) until I was in college. First time I missed was a Wednesday night to hear a speaker on campus, sponsored by the Wesleyan fellowship.

If anyone ever missed a service, the questioning afterward could sound more benign, as in, "We missed you Wednesday night." Or, it was often, "Where were you Sunday night?" These weren't asked out of concern, it was more a matter of attendance is the end-all and be-all. The first time I stopped going on Wednesday nights was when all the kids in my class moved up to the next one. About a year later, I was asked to teach that same group when their teacher needed a break. I taught again for a time. When the last of those graduated, I told the people in charge of classes that I was stepping aside. Never went back on a Wednesday night after that, and that has been years ago. It is SO nice having an extra evening, although one or two of my C of C co-workers will invite me to their services. I politely decline.
OT Pharisees demanded strict adherence to their human devised traditions, and allowed no mercy to anyone deemed guilty of breaking their rules; likewise, the NT Pharisees - the CoC - demand the same obedience to their church traditions.

Wednsday night Bible classes are imposed on the rank-and-file members by the elders without any viable Scriptural authorization; these classes are blatantly used to indoctrinate the captive audience with the CoC party line. Those brave enough to skip a scheduled 'church meeting' will quickly run afoul of the 'head elders' and made to feel like second-rate Christians.
Unity in diversity
Lev

Post by Lev »

Is anyone aware of another denomination that regularly holds Wednesday evening meetings? When you hear someone whom you don't know well mention something about "church" on a Wednesday night, is it safe to assume they're COC?

Lev
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Lev wrote:Is anyone aware of another denomination that regularly holds Wednesday evening meetings? When you hear someone whom you don't know well mention something about "church" on a Wednesday night, is it safe to assume they're COC?

Lev
All the Baptists around here also have Wednesday night studies.
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

Lev wrote:Is anyone aware of another denomination that regularly holds Wednesday evening meetings? When you hear someone whom you don't know well mention something about "church" on a Wednesday night, is it safe to assume they're COC?

Lev
It's common in my part of the woods for most churches to have a mid-week Bible study class, but I don't know of any church - other than the CoC - that has twisted the Scriptures to the point that every member must have perfect attendance in order to be an acceptable Christian.
Unity in diversity
MusicMan826

Post by MusicMan826 »

In every church I've been to attendance was always less on Sunday evenings and even less than that on Wednesday evenings. But somehow some people always got a free pass where others couldn't miss a single Wednesday night without getting the, "Where WERE you!?" calls.
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

MusicMan826 wrote:In every church I've been to attendance was always less on Sunday evenings and even less than that on Wednesday evenings. But somehow some people always got a free pass where others couldn't miss a single Wednesday night without getting the, "Where WERE you!?" calls.
Often the elders grant free passes to their immediate family, especially their borderline 'church going children' who seem to be exempt from any public rebukes. For the LESS IMPORTANT members, a general public dress down suffices with the obligatory stink eye directed to the GUILTY parties.
Unity in diversity