If you could change the coC...

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Struggler

Re: If you could change the coC...

Post by Struggler »

People who were known by the leadership to donate a significant amount of money to the church also got a pass. Also, if they were perceived to be "prominent" in the community, attendance policies weren't as strictly enforced.

I hated having to schedule stuff around the Wednesday night service. All school activities and everything else had to come to a halt.
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

Struggler wrote:People who were known by the leadership to donate a significant amount of money to the church also got a pass. Also, if they were perceived to be "prominent" in the community, attendance policies weren't as strictly enforced.

I hated having to schedule stuff around the Wednesday night service. All school activities and everything else had to come to a halt.
You're right, the 'attendance policies' tend to favor the high & mighty, and condemn us insignificant pew huggers. :roll:
Unity in diversity
sonicrainkrieg42

Post by sonicrainkrieg42 »

I never saw the point in having services during the week. It always seems like such a hassle.
Closeted ex coc, trans woman, and secular humanist
Lev

Post by Lev »

sonicrainkrieg42 wrote:I never saw the point in having services during the week. It always seems like such a hassle.
It's probably not intentional, but the frequent church services in the COC tend to emphasize the (in my opinion, misguided) belief that the primary work of the church is to get together and "do church." I'm attending a denomination now that meets only once per week: Sunday morning. During the week, though, there are all kinds of things to do: service, studies, meals, social events, etc. Much more diversity of activities and much more practically effective than just loading up the week with church services.

Lev
agricola

Post by agricola »

The coc appears to think that 'worshiping God' and 'sitting in a church service' are exactly the same thing.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Lev wrote:
sonicrainkrieg42 wrote:I never saw the point in having services during the week. It always seems like such a hassle.
It's probably not intentional, but the frequent church services in the COC tend to emphasize the (in my opinion, misguided) belief that the primary work of the church is to get together and "do church." I'm attending a denomination now that meets only once per week: Sunday morning. During the week, though, there are all kinds of things to do: service, studies, meals, social events, etc. Much more diversity of activities and much more practically effective than just loading up the week with church services.

Lev
Good point. I've got some C of C co-workers, and they frequently mention attending this or that service. One or two equate their going to church three times a week with community involvement.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

The word "services" isn't in the bible.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

Ivy wrote:The word "services" isn't in the bible.
True, but it is enshrined in the unwritten CoC creed!
Unity in diversity
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

You're expected to attend the midweek classes so the head elder - or his mouthpiece - has the opportunity to indoctrinate you with CoC Scriptural twistings and church traditions - hoping you will be brainwashed at some point - and unite lockstep to their belief system ... sad, but this happens constantly in the CoC.
Unity in diversity
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

I never got the point of Wednesday night services. Especially since there is no scriptural authority for it. The cOC "speaks where the Bible speaks and is silent where the Bible is silent", yet they sure had no problem having services on Wednesday nights, even though the Bible does not authorize it. The last cOC I was a part of actually did away with the Sunday evening services. I was stunned when it happened, but I sure wasn't complaining! It was nice finishing up around 11:00 AM and leaving, knowing that you had the rest of the day to yourself and did not have to rush to get back for an evening service. The discontinuation of Sunday evening services seems to be a trend with cOCs in the last several years. They won't admit that, of course. To admit it would be to admit that (at least some) things are slowly changing.
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.