If you could change the coC...

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Opie

Re: If you could change the coC...

Post by Opie »

I don't know how many times I've heard that line "we speak where the bible speaks, and we're silent where the bible is silent". It would be much more accurate and truthful to say "we speak where the bible speaks, and where the bible is silent we have a lot to say, and we like to say it very loudly!"

The CoC is also wrong in their man-made idea that it has to be exactly like the NT church. No where in the bible are we ever called to be like the NT church. However, we ARE called to be like Christ. IMO being like Christ doesn't seem to have much in common with being like the CoC.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

I will never forget one of the biddies saying that "We will speak where the Bible Speaks,, etc." was in the Bible.
The C of C puts its own spin on the Bible and revises history better than the old Soviet Union ever did.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

This is an interesting thread. I don't remember reading it before.
I agree that the CofC becoming more ecumenical would be the best idea. Some CofC's already are. Also, the idea of maybe adding music on Sunday evenings or Wednesdays would be good. Maybe, too, having some kind of choir. My daughter is very musical and likes to sing, and I think she would have been happier with church if she could have used her talents.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

I live in a large metropolotian area where the c of c is strong. The largest growing congregations are, by c of c standards, decidedly liberal. Even the few congregations that still embrace older c of c traditions, are liberal if compared to what they were 30+ years ago.

One of the identifying characteristics of all religions is that they change & evolve over time in order to be relevant with an ever changing younger population.Those that don't die out or become irrelevant congregations with tiny memberships of mostly older members.

Even these evolving liberal c of c congregations are still decidedly fundamentalist in their thinking & practice, they are just not as legalisticistic as they once were. The anti's are slowly fading into history at least in the larger cities but eventually they will be doomed to virtual extinction.

Religion has learned it too must change or die.
williamray123

Post by williamray123 »

Cootie Brown wrote:I live in a large metropolotian area where the c of c is strong. The largest growing congregations are, by c of c standards, decidedly liberal. Even the few congregations that still embrace older c of c traditions, are liberal if compared to what they were 30+ years ago.

One of the identifying characteristics of all religions is that they change & evolve over time in order to be relevant with an ever changing younger population.Those that don't die out or become irrelevant congregations with tiny memberships of mostly older members.

Even these evolving liberal c of c congregations are still decidedly fundamentalist in their thinking & practice, they are just not as legalisticistic as they once were. The anti's are slowly fading into history at least in the larger cities but eventually they will be doomed to virtual extinction.

Religion has learned it too must change or die.
lol antis have never been a big group. They will keep on truckin' keeping the "real" faith. They will never go away completely IMO
KLP

Post by KLP »

So you are saying reports of the death of Fundamentalism have been greatly exaggerated. ;)

All we need is a good period of suffering or another missile crisis and the pews will be filled. :)
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

klp wrote:So you are saying reports of the death of Fundamentalism have been greatly exaggerated. ;)

All we need is a good period of suffering or another missile crisis and the pews will be filled. :)
I don't recall posting anything about the death of fundamentalism. I don't remember reading anything specifically about the decline of religious fundamentalism. I have read quite a bit about the DECLINE of religion. American Xianity seems to be following a decline now that mirrors the decline of Xianity in Europe.

A lot of "experts" have written articles offering theories about why religion in America is steadily posting declining numbers. The American Deep South is the last remaining stronghold where religion still holds a strong influence. Most experts I've read site the reason for this decline as education, the internet, and a steadily rising disinterest in religion throughout the country.

The last report I read indicated approximately 2,000,000 people a year are leaving their religion and the author noted these were largely people who regularly attended services and were active in leadership and other various works rather that the Christmas & Easter attendees. The report also noted none of the main line denominations were showing growth and had not shown growth in several years.

All of that noted I don't see religion ever dying out completely but I definitely see religions influence steadily declining. I think most Christians have noted that the media & entertainment industry no longer embraces or promotes religion like it once did. And in some instances they actually scorn religion.

On another web site where I participate they like to post articles, from around the country, were Ministers and Church Leaders have been arrested for various crimes with sex crimes usually the most common reason for their arrest. The number of youth ministers being arrested for having sex with under age girls, usually a member of their youth group, is honestly disturbing because it's way too common.

I agree with your assessment that people do return to religion when they are scared. When things seem to be out of control, and trust in the government declines, people often seek a higher power in hopes that something bigger and more powerful is really in control and will protect them.
KLP

Post by KLP »

See Agri, you are wrong about the use of emoticons. :lol: :P :lol:
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.