Plastic Flowers.

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
KLP

Re: Plastic Flowers.

Post by KLP »

Yes, by saying "there existed a CoC Doctrine Discussion forum" is true whether there are 1 or 100 such forums. The current forum specifically states it is about sharing one's experience in the CofC. The term "doctrine" is in no way specifically mentioned or necessarily inferred. Only the most liberal of liberals would say that discussion of doctrine is now included under the current guidelines. Basically they would argue that it doesn't say you can't talk about doctrine. Ba-Da-Boom Ba-Da-Bing Next thing you know we got Mountain Dew and Doritos on the Lord's table.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Opie

Post by Opie »

klp wrote:Yes, by saying "there existed a CoC Doctrine Discussion forum" is true whether there are 1 or 100 such forums. The current forum specifically states it is about sharing one's experience in the CofC. The term "doctrine" is in no way specifically mentioned or necessarily inferred. Only the most liberal of liberals would say that discussion of doctrine is now included under the current guidelines. Basically they would argue that it doesn't say you can't talk about doctrine. Ba-Da-Boom Ba-Da-Bing Next thing you know we got Mountain Dew and Doritos on the Lord's table.
KLP, it bothers me a lot to admit this, but I perfectly understand the CENI reasoning in your statement. The roots still run deep, don't they? :(
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
williamray123

Post by williamray123 »

regarding the flowers being purchased by an individual outside "The Lord's Money". If I wanted to buy an organ or a kitchen with my money, would they be ok with that? LOL
agricola

Post by agricola »

williamray123 wrote:regarding the flowers being purchased by an individual outside "The Lord's Money". If I wanted to buy an organ or a kitchen with my money, would they be ok with that? LOL
That depends, williamray. Are you the Head Elder in Charge and the one who donates the lion's share of money every Sunday? Then I'll bet you could sure enough buy anything you darned well want!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
KLP

Post by KLP »

You can buy the organ, but you cannot use it. And you can buy the kitchen, but again, it cannot be used. But the kitchen and organ would give the appearance of evil and engaging in unauthorized activities and must be avoided in order to be a distinctive people and Gospel. It is like some of you folks think there is no logic to the CENI approach and CofC pattern...you may not like the CofC but that does not mean it does not have a logic and process to it.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
williamray123

Post by williamray123 »

klp wrote:You can buy the organ, but you cannot use it. And you can buy the kitchen, but again, it cannot be used. But the kitchen and organ would give the appearance of evil and engaging in unauthorized activities and must be avoided in order to be a distinctive people and Gospel. It is like some of you folks think there is no logic to the CENI approach and CofC pattern...you may not like the CofC but that does not mean it does not have a logic and process to it.
LOL... I find a logic to the process, a flawed logic, but yes logic. CENI is great until I find a verse with a command/example/inference that doesn't fit the CoC tradition then it "doesn't mean what it says". Yes, any CENI they accept is logically thought through, but there are plenty of CENIs they ignore because they don't fit the Campbellite Tradition.
agricola

Post by agricola »

klp wrote:You can buy the organ, but you cannot use it. And you can buy the kitchen, but again, it cannot be used. But the kitchen and organ would give the appearance of evil and engaging in unauthorized activities and must be avoided in order to be a distinctive people and Gospel. It is like some of you folks think there is no logic to the CENI approach and CofC pattern...you may not like the CofC but that does not mean it does not have a logic and process to it.
Yes! that!

But after three years of men's business meetings plus pressure from 'the ladies of the congregation' it will be decided that the kitchen CAN be used but only on weekdays and not on Sundays, except for washing the little cups and storing the Welches in the refrigerator. But no COOKING, or at least, not until after services are over.

Then a few years later it will be okay if there is going to be a potluck/dinner on the grounds after morning services.

The organ, however - oh, the organ! Perhaps it may be used for weekday weddings, as long as it is absolutely removed and invisible on Sundays altogether. Maybe you could stash it in the new kitchen area.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
onward

Post by onward »

As a rule, plastic flowers are unacceptable because they smack of tackiness. However, real flowers are acceptable as long as the vases aren't too ostentatious. The elders alone are qualified to make such earth-shattering decisions.

Musical instruments in the church building are strictly verboten ... how would it look to have an instrument of the Devil on display! Hiding a musical instrument is really bad ... what if someone accidently tripped over the hidden evil instrument and told all the denominational churches.

Steeples and stained glass windows must always be rejected because ... well, just because!

The infamous CoC unwritten creed, while verifiable by hundreds of churches, is to be accepted at face value, and is never to be produced in a written form ... after all, they just reflect the one-and-only CoC traditional POV, which of course is unassailable.
Freedom in Christ always trumps slavery to legalism
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

agricola wrote:We actually used to have TWO coc doctrine discussion forums - one to vent and complain and make fun of it, and the other to actually talk about doctrine somewhat seriously. Then the board crashed (again) and we came back to one. Then....well, it seemed like a good idea to change several forum names to better reflect what they were actually being used for, and the 'coc doctrine' forum was mostly used to talk about how the coc impacted people's lives. Now that can and does INCLUDE talking about coc doctrines.

Mostly, though, people complain about them. The coc doctrines, that is. Assuming we know what they are, exactly. Which we all do, even though nobody ever seems to have actually written them down.
Pure sectarianism!!! Y'all please stop!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
williamray123

Post by williamray123 »

onward wrote:As a rule, plastic flowers are unacceptable because they smack of tackiness. However, real flowers are acceptable as long as the vases aren't too ostentatious. The elders alone are qualified to make such earth-shattering decisions.

Musical instruments in the church building are strictly verboten ... how would it look to have an instrument of the Devil on display! Hiding a musical instrument is really bad ... what if someone accidently tripped over the hidden evil instrument and told all the denominational churches.

Steeples and stained glass windows must always be rejected because ... well, just because!

The infamous CoC unwritten creed, while verifiable by hundreds of churches, is to be accepted at face value, and is never to be produced in a written form ... after all, they just reflect the one-and-only CoC traditional POV, which of course is unassailable.
Awesome post.. "Steeples and stained glass windows must always be rejected because ... well, just because!"... LOL... I never thought about that. I only knew one NI CoC to have a steeple.. but I never heard a sermon against them. Surprising, I heard a sermon against pretty much everything except the 5 acts. good one.