Plastic Flowers.

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: Plastic Flowers.

Post by agricola »

gordie91 wrote:B.H.,

I remember once at a small NI CoC, they had TP rotation! It wasn't called that but whoever cleaned the building that month was to make sure there was plenty on hand. I crap you negative!
:o

I think the fact that most of us (even the ones NOT NICOC) can follow that argument and totally understand it, is a true sign of weirdness. It's like a secret handshake or something, so spies can identify each other in enemy territory....
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
KLP

Post by KLP »

And yet all across the fruited plain kids will be asked and required to bring basic supplies to their school class room including Kleenex and wipes. And the schools think it is normal and "right"....because ya know, the school can't be expected to spend their budget on such consumable supplies. :roll: :lol:

h**ps://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/ ... story.html
“The supply list that used to be sent home was very short — you were asked to bring a notebook and pencils and pens and paper,” said Michael Griffith, a senior policy analyst at the Education Commission of the States, a non­partisan think tank. “We’ve seen that list creep up and up, and now you start seeing things like tissues and toilet paper and cleaning supplies. Things you weren’t normally asked to bring a decade ago. It’s a hidden type of fee.”
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

And in areas with high poverty like mine, many of the parents simply cannot afford these school supplies. Our local Methodist Church gathers donations of supplies, including backpacks, and gives them to all students who cannot afford to buy supplies.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
agricola

Post by agricola »

There's a program like that here, too, Moogy. They call it something like 'Magic School Bus' and businesses hand out lists of supplies needed and people buy a backpack and fill it (or them) with the stuff on the list, and the businesses collect them - the program is run by the Soroptimists, I believe. Clearly I have no idea how to spell 'soroptomists' and neither does spellcheck. Oh well.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

klp wrote:And yet all across the fruited plain kids will be asked and required to bring basic supplies to their school class room including Kleenex and wipes. And the schools think it is normal and "right"....because ya know, the school can't be expected to spend their budget on such consumable supplies. :roll: :lol:

h**ps://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/ ... story.html
“The supply list that used to be sent home was very short — you were asked to bring a notebook and pencils and pens and paper,” said Michael Griffith, a senior policy analyst at the Education Commission of the States, a non­partisan think tank. “We’ve seen that list creep up and up, and now you start seeing things like tissues and toilet paper and cleaning supplies. Things you weren’t normally asked to bring a decade ago. It’s a hidden type of fee.”
But at least the kids can eat in the building. :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

gordie91 wrote:B.H.,

I remember once at a small NI CoC, they had TP rotation! It wasn't called that but whoever cleaned the building that month was to make sure there was plenty on hand. I crap you negative!
That is kinda weird. Was the water bill and any bathroom repairs paid out of the church treasury? If it was then that beats me. You can pay for the toilet and the water to flush it out of the church treasury but the paper flushed had to come out of private funds.

I hope if they bought bibles from amazon they destroyed the big box they came in. If they just threw it out some orphan kid might get it and live in it and then the church get a reputation for supporting an orphan home.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
KLP

Post by KLP »

The reality in the places I was part of was that no decoration of any type could rightly be paid for out of the Lord's money. Not even plastic flowers. Anything to do with dressing up the place was always donated...be it some flowers out front or a doily for a table. But somehow air fresheners and Lysol spray for the bathrooms were an authorized expense? This was In complete contradiction of the Biblical example of someone donating the anointing perfume for Jesus and the burial spices.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
williamray123

Post by williamray123 »

klp wrote:The reality in the places I was part of was that no decoration of any type could rightly be paid for out of the Lord's money. Not even plastic flowers. Anything to do with dressing up the place was always donated...be it some flowers out front or a doily for a table. But somehow air fresheners and Lysol spray for the bathrooms were an authorized expense? This was In complete contradiction of the Biblical example of someone donating the anointing perfume for Jesus and the burial spices.
It's like they think God is an accountant going over church expenses marking "ok" and "sin". Does the whole local church go to hell if one expense is disallowed? Really? So Jesus died on the cross for every sin except buying lysol with money that once went into the velvet lined silver plate. Do these folks stop to think about what kind of a box they are putting God in?

Those in the CoC hear the doctrine every day so they don't question, but if you follow it to its logical conclusion, it is insanity.
KLP

Post by KLP »

OK, well it seems we need to get down into the nuts and bolts of the technicalities of what Jesus did and how God thinks. Obviously Jesus paid a price that is more than adequate to pay for all sin that is forgiven. However, there are sins that are not forgiven, there are sins that are not repented of, and there are sins that are done on purpose and continually. Perhaps we can start a study on whether the continual purchasing of Lysol out of the Lord's money is a sin that will not be forgiven.

Oh, BTW, I am only talking about the original scent Lysol or Pine-Sol products...none of that new fangled lemon fresh stuff.
williamray123

Post by williamray123 »

no need to delve into the morality of lemon fresh scent, it's an obvious mortal sin :D