Plastic Flowers.

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
gordie91

Re: Plastic Flowers.

Post by gordie91 »

Oh, but decorations for VBS can obviously be spent out of the treasury. That directly goes to the teaching of the little children. But to pay for fake flowers or nice little doilies on the table inscribed "Do This In Remembrance" are way out of line and a total misuse of "church funds". The VBS example totally blew me away. When ever friends and family would tell about all the work going into the art work in preparation for VBS, I would say to them in a question, "So, you have to go and put up icons for VBS?". The response was never reasonable, just a glare and some statement about me being contrary. Of course that happened before us going to an Orthodox Church. Will have to see how that goes over next VBS season.

Of course I'll be called the idol worshiper, they (CoC'ers) don't have any idols now do they?
KLP

Post by KLP »

Yes, classroom items were not decorations at all...obviously that was just an immersive form of teaching children. Of course there is no scriptural basis for teaching children or having a kids Bible school. But having any sort of banner or artwork or depiction in a non-textual based format is not allowed....well, unless it is a PowerPoint graphic and then it is allowed. So maybe if they just projected works of art onto the walls (ala Bill Gates) then it would be OK to have some artwork.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

klp wrote:So maybe if they just projected works of art onto the walls (ala Bill Gates) then it would be OK to have some artwork.
As long as it wasn't for any type of entertainment or pleasure....."not with eyeservice as menpleasers".
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote:
klp wrote:So maybe if they just projected works of art onto the walls (ala Bill Gates) then it would be OK to have some artwork.
As long as it wasn't for any type of entertainment or pleasure....."not with eyeservice as menpleasers".
And don't show any painting od David playing the harp for King Saul or any angels in Heaven blowing trumptets. Might make people wonder about instruments in worship.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

klp wrote: But somehow air fresheners and Lysol spray for the bathrooms were an authorized expense? This was In complete contradiction of the Biblical example of someone donating the anointing perfume for Jesus and the burial spices.
Let us spray.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

klp wrote:Yes, classroom items were not decorations at all...obviously that was just an immersive form of teaching children. Of course there is no scriptural basis for teaching children or having a kids Bible school. But having any sort of banner or artwork or depiction in a non-textual based format is not allowed....well, unless it is a PowerPoint graphic and then it is allowed. So maybe if they just projected works of art onto the walls (ala Bill Gates) then it would be OK to have some artwork.
I am showing my age here... Do they still allow giant charts painted on white sheets and hung on the wall or chalkboard? The original A.D.33 church had paint and fabric, but they certainly didn't have PowerPoint. Paul was a tent-maker, so I imagine he had very durable visual aids. :mrgreen:
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
williamray123

Post by williamray123 »

B.H. wrote:
Ivy wrote:
And don't show any painting od David playing the harp for King Saul or any angels in Heaven blowing trumptets. Might make people wonder about instruments in worship.

Well we all know the old testament is nailed to the cross, well unless the CoC needs to prove a point, then it isn't nailed, but if another denomination wants to prove a point, only new testament references are valid and the old testament is nailed.
singing with drums

Post by singing with drums »

Late to the party, but I decided to drop in and see what the cool kids were doing.
Plastic flowers- these were always Women's Work, and seemed to me a pitiable attempt to make the usually quite barren CoC buildings less ugly
My home church growing up had a beautiful deep flowerbed all around it, gorgeous. I didn't know that CoC buildings were supposed to be plain and homely until I graduated from high school and traveled a bit. The women tried to make it less bad.
Donations for school supplies- our UMC does a huge drive before school starts, collection all manner of things for local kids.
The first time I visited there, the front of the auditorium/sanctuary was covered in stacks of backpacks, paper, Clorox wipes and more.
Tucson is quite poor city in dollars, rich in tradition.
I bring school supplies to my classroom, things I have purchased, all year.
Toilet paper- One CoC where I was a member had two families per week, rotating through the congregation, clean the auditorium on Saturdays. The supplies were to be "used carefully," so most of us brought extra.
It didn't seem like a big deal then, but it does now.
God is good.