Incomplete

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: Incomplete

Post by agricola »

JKendallDane wrote:What doesn't help any in adding to the confusion is threads being started in various forums where they really shouldn't be. The "Preached into hell at a coc funeral" topic really belongs in this forum but it's over in the Coffee House where I'm sure no one would expect to find it, much less go looking for it.

Trying to pigeonhole certain discussions can be a problem, but things like that just seem an easy choice.

None of the moderators reads all the threads all the time - so if anybody sees a thread that is obviously in the wrong forum, PLEASE TELL US (you can send a pm to me or gman or teresa - or all three of us actually). Then we look at it, and then we decide whether to move it or not.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Old Paths -
well, nobody like any of the old names for THAT forum, either.

It is for skeptics and agnostics to get real nasty on the credulous believers, mostly. Apparently 'the Old Paths' refers to a publication of a very conservative branch of the coc?? It wasn't one I was familiar with myself.

'Seeking the Old Paths' - I think its a book about the coc. Help. I should probably know that, but I don't.

So anyway, Old Paths is a counterpart to NEW Paths, where we are all supportive of every denomination there is. Old Paths is where we are not supportive of ANY, particularly. Where people can talk, not about this denom or that doctrine, but about 'RELIGION' as a topic in itself. Why do people believe? That sort of question.

Ivy - since it is your thread - should the funeral discussion be moved?
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
KLP

Post by KLP »

King James Bible
Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.

(And don't be looking for no WineSkins magazine)
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
onward

Post by onward »

klp wrote:King James Bible
Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.
Hardline churches view the "old paths" as the one-and-only acceptable way to be a Christian, and only THEIR church is walking down this path ... all other paths are "new paths" leading straight to Hell because they don't mesh exactly with the infallible CoC beliefs.

The website for Seek The Old Paths has some interesting garbage ... http://www.seektheoldpaths.com
Freedom in Christ always trumps slavery to legalism
onward

Post by onward »

agricola wrote:
JKendallDane wrote:What doesn't help any in adding to the confusion is threads being started in various forums where they really shouldn't be. The "Preached into hell at a coc funeral" topic really belongs in this forum but it's over in the Coffee House where I'm sure no one would expect to find it, much less go looking for it.

Trying to pigeonhole certain discussions can be a problem, but things like that just seem an easy choice.

None of the moderators reads all the threads all the time - so if anybody sees a thread that is obviously in the wrong forum, PLEASE TELL US (you can send a pm to me or gman or teresa - or all three of us actually). Then we look at it, and then we decide whether to move it or not.
Placing a thread within a predefined forum is probably the correct way to go, but often a thread starts in the right forum but soon morphs into a completely different animal with no resemblance to the original post. Very few threads continue as originally intended, and most could be placed in several forums at the same time as they switch back-and-forth between subjects ... tough to categorize, and often tough to understand where to put the original thread in the first place.
Freedom in Christ always trumps slavery to legalism
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

KLP wrote:Interesting, so you are wanting to "mode" sort the discussions based on intent, mood, or feeling rather than merely topic.
Yes, and what you call "intent, mood, or feeling" I am calling "need".

So basically the board is designed to meet two needs that I think are important for healing, the first being validation (Support and Agreement) and the second being the opportunity to explore differing views while being respectful of one another (Differing Views). These are somewhat at odds, and folks may feel the need for one or the other at different times. Some deeply traumatized individuals might find it best to stay in the Support and Agreement area altogether.

The board is further broken down into topics, more to encourage and guide the conversation rather than anything else.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

agricola wrote:Ivy - since it is your thread - should the funeral discussion be moved?
Sure, if the mods think it's best.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~