church of Christ phrases

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
OneStrike_ur_out

church of Christ phrases

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

I always found these so funny. You could count on hearing them at some point in every service. Mainly in prayers. I often wondered if the person saying it even had any idea what it meant. :D

They include but are not limited to:
Guide, guard and direct us (sometimes, it was guide, guard, and direct OUR STEPS)
In spirit and in truth
Of like precious faith
In foreign fields
Next appointed time (that one always cracked me up :lol: )
That he may have a ready remembrance (in other words, don't let him screw it up!)
Worship with the saints (often asked to anyone who returned from being out of town. "So, did you get a chance to worship with the saints in any town, USA")
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
agricola

Re: church of Christ phrases

Post by agricola »

That kind of thing is actually 'liturgy', which the coc denies it has.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Melanie

Post by Melanie »

"Separate and apart from" "As we stand and sing"
agricola

Post by agricola »

God doesn't understand modern English. You have to use 17th century English, like the KJV.

Somehow, 'Thou' is better than 'you'.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Opie

Post by Opie »

My personal all-time favorite: "I know that's what the verse says, but that's not what it means!"
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

"the sick and afflicted the world over"
"In like manner" (praying over the cup)
"Gospel Meeting"

"command, example and necessary inference"
"We will call bible things by Bible names and do Bible things in Bible ways. We will speak where the Bible speaks and be silent where the Bible is silent."
I knew an old biddy who believed those last two phrases were in the Bible.

I heard the same old biddy say more than once about something: "If it's not in the Bible, it ought to be."
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

"Ole so and so has gotten pulled away". Said whenever someone stopped attending. :lol: That one always killed me. I mean, why does it HAVE to be that they were "pulled away"? And that was stated as the reason every, single time!! There was not one occasion where the person had come to any type of conclusion on their own that made them leave the cOC. NO. In every situation, they had been pulled away by some outside influence. Not too long before I left, one of the members who practically started that congregation just up and quit one day without warning. It was quite a shock to everyone. Well, naturally, he had gotten pulled away. So, someone spoke up and asked "well, I keep hearing this business about him having gotten pulled away, but nobody will say what it was that actually did the pulling". Surprise, surprise NOBODY had an answer!! :lol:
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
MusicMan826

Post by MusicMan826 »

During the Lord's Supper: "Let us partake of this in a manner that is well-pleasing in thy sight."

"Lord willing" - Usually said at the end of a statement referring to anything in the future. ("We'll meet again for bible study Wednesday night at 7:00 Lord willing.")

Fallen away/Left the Lord - When referring to anyone who has left the COC, even if they're a faithful and active member of a different denomination.

The whole "We speak where the bible speaks and silent where the bible is silent" thing always drove me absolutely nuts. Especially since they do plenty of things that aren't in the bible, but that's conveniently covered by CENI.

"Turn in your song book to number..." Never use the word hymnal...that sounds too denominational.
Pitts S2C

Post by Pitts S2C »

"Pulpit"

Not podium, stage, lectern, platform or soapbox.....heaven forbid!
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I remember my grandmother using the phrase "bringing shame and reproach on the church".