church of Christ phrases

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Moogy

Re: church of Christ phrases

Post by Moogy »

I was at a family reunion last weekend. One of my cousins said, "He is not a Christian." I kept my mouth shut, but I knew what she meant--that he wasn't COC.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

Forsaking of the assembly. Hewbrews 10:25, the most taken out of context verse in the Bible. :lol:
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
delilah

Post by delilah »

Speaking of Church of Christ terminology--did anyone else ever get confused when talking to members of other denominations? I've had conversations with members of other churches that go like this:

"We're meeting in the sanctuary at 6:00" Me: "The whuh--??" "You know, the big place with pews where everyone sits." Me: "Oh! You mean the auditorium!"

"Do you witness?" Me: "Do I whuh--??" "You know, do you teach other people about Jesus?" Me: "Oh, you mean do I evangelize."

And so on.

Also other people though it was weird we didn't call preachers "reverend".
MusicMan826

Post by MusicMan826 »

Most of my friends called their preacher a pastor, but we were taught that only "preacher" was the correct term to use. I'll never forget how when talking to my baptist grandparents, and they would talk about their pastor, my mom would always do this exaggerated, "Pastor? What's a pastor? OOOHHHH, you must mean preacher!" It was so obnoxious.
delilah

Post by delilah »

There's also that peculiar CofC wording on signs: "The Church of Christ Meets Here" as opposed to just "Church of Christ." Because, y'know, the church is the people and not the building, etc. There were some folks in my youth who had real hangups if you used the term "church" if referring to the structure. You must always say "church building"! Also, saints aren't special, because all Christians are saints, etc.
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

The ONE true church.
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
williamray123

Post by williamray123 »

delilah wrote:There's also that peculiar CofC wording on signs: "The Church of Christ Meets Here" as opposed to just "Church of Christ." Because, y'know, the church is the people and not the building, etc. There were some folks in my youth who had real hangups if you used the term "church" if referring to the structure. You must always say "church building"! Also, saints aren't special, because all Christians are saints, etc.
LOL. Growing up if we referred to "church" in context of the building my mom would chime in EVERY time and say "church BUILDING".
ena

Post by ena »

OneStrike_ur_out wrote:"Ole so and so has gotten pulled away". Said whenever someone stopped attending. :lol: That one always killed me. I mean, why does it HAVE to be that they were "pulled away"? And that was stated as the reason every, single time!! There was not one occasion where the person had come to any type of conclusion on their own that made them leave the cOC. NO. In every situation, they had been pulled away by some outside influence.
I call these God moments. What happens is there is an understanding of what you are doing is not right and why. So you change your outlook. Paul had a God moment on the road to Damascus. It may look like nothing to others but personally quite profound. This is more common than many recognize. Some of the stories from others are quite funny. God has a sense of humor. This is not something you will see in the Church of Christ but is common outside.
ena

Post by ena »

delilah wrote:There's also that peculiar CofC wording on signs: "The Church of Christ Meets Here" as opposed to just "Church of Christ." Because, y'know, the church is the people and not the building, etc. There were some folks in my youth who had real hangups if you used the term "church" if referring to the structure. You must always say "church building"! Also, saints aren't special, because all Christians are saints, etc.
This one gets more interesting in the Greek. The word is ekklesia or called out. It refers to people not a building. In fact a building was optional in the early Church. Probably church services were a take off from synagogue services.
See Strong's link.

http://www.bibletools.org/index.cfm/fus ... klesia.htm
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

"Let us set aside all distractions and focus on worshipping our Lord and Savior" or something that effect.