church of Christ phrases

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
natv

Re: church of Christ phrases

Post by natv »

A couple of the ones I heard are as follows:
Have the speaker have a ready recollection. (In the opening prayer)
"the exercises of this hour" referring to service
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I just thought of another one; not sure if this has been mentioned yet. During my long history of association with cofc, I noticed that they had started saying "going to worship" instead of "going to church". I assume that's because of their fear of words and phrases, and causing some misunderstanding / someone to stumble. The church building isn't the church, so you don't go to church, you "go to worship". So it became "Where do you worship?" "Janie worships with the Jones Street cofc". "I had to miss worship because the ox was in the ditch". "Joe has been neglecting worship services; we'd best talk to him".
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

I haven't read the entire thread and don't know if this has been posted.

Eitherway its cringeworthy and halarious! :lol: :lol:

h***ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iboc3V_7CNY
war eagle disciple

Post by war eagle disciple »

one really popular one I heard growing up was the song leader said every sunday morning "let us sing with the spirit and the understanding". and at the lord supper you could hear "whoever eats and drinks in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of christ". so taken out of context....but it absolutely frightened me as a child :shock:
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

war eagle disciple wrote:one really popular one I heard growing up was the song leader said every sunday morning "let us sing with the spirit and the understanding". and at the lord supper you could hear "whoever eats and drinks in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of christ". so taken out of context....but it absolutely frightened me as a child :shock:
Oh, me too!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
kab9243

Post by kab9243 »

Just reading this is giving me PTSD. :shock:
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

In the book of James it mentions not showing favorites in the assemblies. I believe the word used there is not ekklesia but synogogui, Perhaps the Christians converted a synogogue and was using their building as a church house. Both words can mean an assembly but the Jewish word can mean the building too.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
planodebbie

Post by planodebbie »

I loved the 'reaped what they sowed' phrase my dad loves so much. It actually refers to spreading the gospel, not a gotcha from God when you do something wrong.
Dare to think for yourself.