church of Christ phrases

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
MusicMan826

Re: church of Christ phrases

Post by MusicMan826 »

I think we sometimes called it "Wednesday night services" but mostly it was referred to as "Wednesday night bible study." Just don't call it "church" because "WE are the church!" and if too many people call it church, the preacher would need to do yet another sermon on why you call it services and not church and why the COC is the one true church, etc.
gladILeft

Post by gladILeft »

Ivy wrote:
williamray123 wrote:"going forward" or he "went forward".
Interestingly, when I was growing up in NE Texas it was called "going down to the front" or "going to the front".

I didn't hear the "going forward" phrase until I moved to another area of Texas. it was sometimes pronounced
"going fahward". :lol:

EX: Johnny felt so guilt ridden that he went fahward after services Wednesday night.
aka walk of shame
KLP

Post by KLP »

Ivy wrote:
klp wrote:
Ivy wrote:...EX: Johnny felt so guilt ridden that he went fahward after services Wednesday night.
Must be a liberal place because we are only authorized to have services upon the first day of the week. Perhaps you meant midweek Bible study or something like that?
Wow......have I really been out of the loop so long I forgot that? No cofcs call them "Wednesday night services"? :shock:
Oh just having fun. BTW, I noticed there is a website dedicated to Wednesday Night Services...but it seems they stopped "meeting" in 2013 as there are no posts since then.

h**p://www.wednesdaynightservice.com/
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

klp wrote:
Ivy wrote:Wow......have I really been out of the loop so long I forgot that? No cofcs call them "Wednesday night services"? :shock:
Oh just having fun. BTW, I noticed there is a website dedicated to Wednesday Night Services...but it seems they stopped "meeting" in 2013 as there are no posts since then.

h**p://www.wednesdaynightservice.com/
That's because ain't nobody got time for that. :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
coffeegrammy

Post by coffeegrammy »

One I heard this am...."be with all the sick, especially those of the household of faith." ??? I guess the other sick do not matter as much. Silly me.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

coffeegrammy wrote:One I heard this am...."be with all the sick, especially those of the household of faith." ??? I guess the other sick do not matter as much. Silly me.
EXACTLY!! What......God limits his energy to just cofc people who are sick? :roll:
flawed

Post by flawed »

"Gospel Meeting" don't dare call it a revival, that's too denominational!

"Plan of salvation: hear,believe, repent, be baptized, live a faithful life"
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Here are a couple of really old ones, which I found in an old COC membership book. I was researching my family history, and this old hand-written book listed the people and an explanation as they became members or left that congregation.
"Gone into the world" or worse,
"Gone into Babylon."
:lol: :lol:
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Moogy wrote:"Gone into Babylon."
:lol:
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.