church of Christ phrases

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Moogy

Re: church of Christ phrases

Post by Moogy »

zeek wrote:I had a nephew who did two tours of duty in Babylon. Then he came home and committed suicide after trying for months to get help from the VA.
How horrible! I am sorry for you and your family. The VA really needs to do much better, and we need to give them the resources they need to change.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Vincentstruggler

Post by Vincentstruggler »

I always loved the "everything must be decently and in order". What does that even mean?
KLP

Post by KLP »

Vincentstruggler wrote:I always loved the "everything must be decently and in order". What does that even mean?
That is not a CofC phrase per se unless we are arguing that Paul was in the CofC...which is the argument.
From 1 Cor 14
26What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. 27If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. 28But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God. 29Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said. 30If a revelation is made to another sitting there, let the first be silent. 31For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged, 32and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. 33For God is not a God of confusion but of peace.

As in all the churches of the saints, 34the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. 35If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.

36Or was it from you that the word of God came? Or are you the only ones it has reached? 37If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord. 38If anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized. 39So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40But all things should be done decently and in order.
(emphasis added)

And I personally would strictly forbid any honking at a Clown mass and no non-service animals at any pet day blessing held indoors.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Vincentstruggler

Post by Vincentstruggler »

klp wrote:
Vincentstruggler wrote:I always loved the "everything must be decently and in order". What does that even mean?
That is not a CofC phrase per se unless we are arguing that Paul was in the CofC...which is the argument.
From 1 Cor 14
26What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. 27If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. 28But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God. 29Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said. 30If a revelation is made to another sitting there, let the first be silent. 31For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged, 32and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. 33For God is not a God of confusion but of peace.

As in all the churches of the saints, 34the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. 35If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.

36Or was it from you that the word of God came? Or are you the only ones it has reached? 37If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord. 38If anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized. 39So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40But all things should be done decently and in order.
(emphasis added)

And I personally would strictly forbid any honking at a Clown mass and no non-service animals at any pet day blessing held indoors.

I guess I should have added the occasion on which they loved to use this phrase where I attended. It would be used in the fellowship hall when a meal was being served. I think it was directed at parents to keep their kids under control.
agricola

Post by agricola »

When I hear people say things should be done 'decently and in order', what I believe I am hearing is 'nobody should do anything I don't like'.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Makes me laugh to think that things in the unauthorized fellowship hall must be done according to scripture...but that is just my thought :)
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
singing with drums

Post by singing with drums »

Avoiding the appearance of evil
Bring shame and reproach upon the church
Prepare your hearts to partake
Minister or evangelist, never The Pastor
Elders are the shepherds of God's true church and flock
Get into the Word
Daily Bible Reader
Bible Study, not Sunday School
You can't go to church, because the church is you
LTC

Oh boy, the memories are coming unclogged.
Actually, I don't mind some of them, especially "get into the word." What I do mind is the undercurrent of arrogance, and the statemeents like "I used to be a Methodist before I became a Christian." I also hated calling eveyone else Denominations.
God is good.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

klp wrote:And I personally would strictly forbid any honking at a Clown mass and no non-service animals at any pet day blessing held indoors.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

"Missed you", which is code for "where WERE YOU??".
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

"Give Brother (insert preacher's name) a ready recollection of the things he is about to say".

I thought we weren't suppose to believe the holy spirit did anything outside the words of the bible? Sorry, you incorrect using thee and thou prayer leader, but if it ain't there it ain't coming out!

"OH OH it's magic, you know"