I became less gullible I think

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
gordie91

Re: I became less gullible I think

Post by gordie91 »

Oh yeah the ole "that offends me" line gets them going every time.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

deleted because I forgot which forum I was in and did not want to break rules or make agricola mad at me.
Last edited by B.H. on Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

B.H. wrote: <deleted BH's quote at his request> :ugeek:
:
BH, you must have forgotten this thread is in "How did the COC affect you." No disagreements allowed her, just support.
:)
Last edited by Moogy on Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Deleted my double post...why did that happen??? :evil:
Last edited by Moogy on Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moogy
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Moogy, Please go back and edit out your two posts before agricola sees what I did. If she does she will get mad and me and hit me over the head with one of her pan fryers.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
agricola

Post by agricola »

too late the bitter wail, BH
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

agricola wrote:too late the bitter wail, BH

Oh noes it's the 1,124th coming and I wasn't prepared. Oh my, Oh my! :D
KLP

Post by KLP »

glad yall are having your own private discussion in public on a thread, now can we stay on topic please
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

I remember once in a class the preacher/teacher (small church, no elders) used the verse in Ephesians 3:4 to prove that Paul was referencing the "word of God" as the bible or new testament. I said to him that I don't think Paul had even an idea of anything called a New Testament Bible and that the verse should have been connected to the previous verses (chapter). I continued to state that what about all those poor souls that had never read anything in a "bible" how could they come to a full knowledge of the gospel prior to the books being compiled in a complete work? Seemed to me people were out of luck. Another instance, I was asked to fill in on the Sunday morning bible class. I wasn't ready but willing to help. I somehow landed on Hebrews 4:12 and referencing Revelation 19:13 and then a few comments on how could an inanimate object like the bible literally discern men's soul?

After each of those episodes, this preacher, who started the church, proceeded to preach emphatically about each of those verses from his viewpoint but with strong language that would suggest to think otherwise is on the verge of heresy. I think one of the sermons was on the seed principle. As a result, I spoke less and less in the bible classes and no one would discuss my comments after classes anymore. Though after the Ephesians class I had a few express similar feelings. My comments were subject to discussion and might have allowed for opportunities for people to think about things a little differently but because they suggested a different twist on CoC traditional interpretation any further discussion would be discouraged after those sermons. Just a couple of examples of one man influencing otherwise friendly and open-minded people to shut it down. I was just asking simple questions I thought were relevant and matched the context of the verses i.e. not being gullible. But of course, I soon wrote my exit letter and walked away.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

I am not familiar with the seed principle. Can you please explain it? Then I can decide if I'm gullible enough to accept it. :D
Last edited by Moogy on Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogy