I became less gullible I think

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
gordie91

Re: I became less gullible I think

Post by gordie91 »

Sure Moogy, I will try.

The seed is "The Word of God". When the theorist say Word of God they mean bible and more specifically New Testament Pattern. As long as there is a bible available the Church can be present and how to do plan of salvation, worship and work. The analogy goes like this: The game of baseball as we know it ceases to exist in its original form. It could have additions, subtractions or a total change in the make up of the game. But, if someone finds the "original" rules of the game, the game can be recreated and then you have real baseball again. Sounds real familiar to how restorationist say they are restoring the church by getting rid of creeds, addition/subtractions to the game, and going back to the original way, first century christianity. As long as the "seed" is present then the church can grow.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Yes, I have experienced the "coincidental" response from the pulpit from a preacher to what was discussed in a classroom or elsewhere even though the preacher was not present when said discussion occurred. I have had from two different preachers and both were the type to feel "threatened" by anyone with half a brain and to fear they would lose their position as the oracle. One time it was a passing comment about class schedules and that the book of Philippians could be covered fairly quick...the room was just a half dozen old time members...one would think it would not be that hard to cover that material. Oh we had to hear weeks and weeks and s ermon series started about the how the depth of Philippians, even if he preached every week for year could be but barely scraped. :roll:

The next time I noticed this was happening from another guy, I just called him on it and asked him directly about the coincidence of bulletin article and sermons...he denied there was any intention but of course since he was just teaching truth blah blah blah and if the shoe fits wear it blah blah blah. The man was a habitual liar and was easily caught in his lies...eventually it just wasn't worth the effort to point out his lies.

I think coming to the knowledge that preachers and elders were given to such attacks and deception (or turned a blind eye to as they closed ranks) was one of the last lessons I finally learned and became less gullible.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

I forgot to mention the back handed compliments as well. Towards the end of my time I made a comment in class, rare at this point, but the preacher's wife liked the comment. After church she came up to me and stated, in a whispering tone, that the point I made was needed because of how the person I was responding to was basically simple minded and misguided. But in a louder voice added the statement, "I don't always agree with you" and laughed real big. My response was similar to the look George Washington has on the dollar bill. I so wish that I had questioned her as to what she didn't agree with me about "most of the time". I might have been out of there sooner.

Curiosity, even if it is just a simple question can get get people branded and marked for destruction. Many of my CoC friends and family are quick to "see your point" but always fall back to their original practices that are in question. Many I know do not understand the necessity for the second service on Sundays yet say very little in public. A couple have even devised elaborate stories to avoid confrontation on that very issue. These people are not gullible, yet they continue to attend and behave as if they are right in line with the group. And there in lies what I believe to be the central point, belonging to the group. This group is familiar, and believes for the most part what they believe with only minor differences that the contrarians are willing to conceal. So for those of us that use a critical eye in receiving teaching and dogma we have to make a choice: accept it without rocking the boat (be a hypocrite) or leave. I like being true to myself and leaving. I do not like to think of the others as being hypocritical but more needing the sense of belonging. But for me it was very difficult to remain in those classes and church services and not feel personal hypocritical.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

gordie91 wrote:Sure Moogy, I will try.

The seed is "The Word of God". When the theorist say Word of God they mean bible and more specifically New Testament Pattern. As long as there is a bible available the Church can be present and how to do plan of salvation, worship and work. The analogy goes like this: The game of baseball as we know it ceases to exist in its original form. It could have additions, subtractions or a total change in the make up of the game. But, if someone finds the "original" rules of the game, the game can be recreated and then you have real baseball again. Sounds real familiar to how restorationist say they are restoring the church by getting rid of creeds, addition/subtractions to the game, and going back to the original way, first century christianity. As long as the "seed" is present then the church can grow.
Thank you. I do remember that argument, but I didn't remember it being called the Seed Principle.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

I suspect the hidden reason for Sunday night services is so the members of the congregation will have to make an obvious choice between football and attending services. Really help separate the wheat from the chaff. :lol:
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages