Status of David Lipscomb University?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Tsathoggua

Status of David Lipscomb University?

Post by Tsathoggua »

I have heard folks say that they don't consider DLU to be a "mainstream Church of Christ" university anymore. Is this true? If so, what exactly happened? And when? Because when I graduated in 1983, it was definitely COC to the core!
Cootie Brown

Re: Status of David Lipscomb University?

Post by Cootie Brown »

I don't know, but I suspect it's because they need students to survive. And recent stats indicate more and more folks ain't buying what the c of C is selling and that is especially true for younger people.
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

Cootie Brown wrote:I don't know, but I suspect it's because they need students to survive. And recent stats indicate more and more folks ain't buying what the c of C is selling and that is especially true for younger people.
Hey, that's as good a reason as any! Thanks.
idontgotoFC

Post by idontgotoFC »

Tsathoggua wrote:I have heard folks say that they don't consider DLU to be a "mainstream Church of Christ" university anymore. Is this true? If so, what exactly happened? And when? Because when I graduated in 1983, it was definitely COC to the core!
I would agree with what you've heard. I think they hold their COC identity more than Pepperdine may, but they don't seem to be "hard core". I don't know if I would call them not mainstream, but I think they push the boundaries of mainstream. Looking at their "Hazelip School of Theology" staff page, a lot of the professors have academic christian backgrounds (Princeton, Notre Dame, Westminster), I don't know if that was the case 30 years ago. I don't know if anything happened exactly, it may have been changes in leadership. I think the mainstream COC may be getting more progressive as a whole though.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

idontgotoFC wrote:
Tsathoggua wrote:I have heard folks say that they don't consider DLU to be a "mainstream Church of Christ" university anymore. Is this true? If so, what exactly happened? And when? Because when I graduated in 1983, it was definitely COC to the core!
. I think the mainstream COC may be getting more progressive as a whole though.
I think you are right about that. It seems they have employed a number of False teachers and they have a tendency to become Change Agents & we all know what happens then. :shock:
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie capitalized "False"!!! :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

That wasn't intentional. My IPad seems to have a mind of its own sometimes.
Last edited by Cootie Brown on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

The numbers of non- C of C students at DLU are growing. As was said, it's about surviving. The C of C is a dwindling denomination. I expect the school will remain C of C-affiliated, although in a more nominal way in the years to come.
tnca

Post by tnca »

I'm a fairly recent graduate. It definitely wasn't like the CoC I grew up with, but that was all non-institutional. The Bible department encourages academic graduate work for many students. The chapel office mostly brings in general evangelical and progressive evangelical speakers. Chapel singing is still led acapella, but there have been some performers with instruments too. A lot of the churches most connected to Lipscomb lean progressive.

Mostly it seems to be getting more like Pepperdine. Which makes sense, given Randy Lowry's background and a lot of the faculty.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I think the non-class brethren need to bring back Gunter College.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx