Oprah 2020?

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
Ivy

Oprah 2020?

Post by Ivy »

I find it delightful that Oprah Winfrey may be considering a presidential run....I don't know if this is true or not. However, I do think she has the basic skill set for the job, whereas Trump does not.

Other thoughts or opinions? And if you laughed......look at who is sitting in the oval office now.
Last edited by Ivy on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
FinallyFree

Re: Oprah 2020?

Post by FinallyFree »

I think she could do a much better job than Trump. But I think a president needs to be someone with political experience. As we have witnessed, it doesn't go well when a person in that position does not.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

FinallyFree wrote:I think she could do a much better job than Trump. But I think a president needs to be someone with political experience. As we have witnessed, it doesn't go well when a person in that position does not.
True. But consider that she would surround herself with the wise counsel of people who do have political experience. And I believe she would listen to guidance, unlike Trump.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

No - look, I like her, but President?

This is the same woman that brought us anti-vaxxers, you know, and other such random non-science, non-logic. I DO like her. She gave a fine speech. I think if she wants to be president of something, she can set her sights on the SAG and do a lot of good. Or the 'Academy'. And she's ALREADY president, right? Of her own company.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
KLP

Post by KLP »

She is not married and has a sort of odd man relationship. And no children either. So that stuff would all need to be fixed right away. Obviously right?
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

If Oprah could be president any of us could be president too. I'm sorry but the same thing could be said for Trump.

Problem with the country is it is a nation of 320 million people and there really is no concensus as to how it ought to be run, so the politicians play it safe by really not doing anything
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

B.H. wrote:If Oprah could be president any of us could be president too. I'm sorry but the same thing could be said for Trump.

Problem with the country is it is a nation of 320 million people and there really is no concensus as to how it ought to be run, so the politicians play it safe by really not doing anything
.....yet otherwise doing everything to enrich themselves by cashing in on every piece of legislation they pass....ultimately reaching a retirement of unbelievable proportions and the ability to pass it all on to their children, in turn making them magnificently wealthy as well ......there really is not much more corruption to spin down into than what we have now, beyond civil anarchy...
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Ivy wrote:I find it delightful that Oprah Winfrey may be considering a presidential run....I don't know if this is true or not. However, I do think she has the basic skill set for the job, whereas Trump does not.

Other thoughts or opinions? And if you laughed......look at who is sitting in the oval office now.
I hear you Ivy...and agree she'd "trump" the guy in office now....but I would see her better in some kind of position like "world ambassador" or some kind of position to engender good will here and around the world.....I've never seen anyone be able to walk into a room and immediately have people admiring and respecting her like she does.....it's like "you get what you see"...I would hate to see her maligned and dragged through the mud like any other politician when she does not deserve that....

But I think her advice on engendering good will (to include the heavier issues of equality and justice) here and around the globe (involving passing laws and implementing policies) is something a new President, with as much experience in government and politics as possible, could actually have half a chance of getting through Congress.....maybe she could be the White House Advisor on Freedom, Equality, and Justice (a newly created position)
agricola

Post by agricola »

UN Ambassador or something.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Yes, UN Ambassador would be good.