Stained Glass Windows in CoC?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Stained Glass Windows in CoC?

Post by longdistancerunner »

Are there any CoC's that have a stained glass window. I wonder if there are any stories about a CoC buying a building from another church and getting rid of them.
B.H.

Re: Stained Glass Windows in CoC?

Post by B.H. »

The "one cup" church in Cleburne, TX has them. They are very basic colored panels but it has them.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
agricola

Post by agricola »

My former mainstream suburban Nashville put stained glass in the 'new' auditorium when it was built in - I think - the 1980s (1981). I believe they were more abstract than pictorial though. I have photos somewhere, perhaps I can find one.

The church website has a few 'tasteful' (i.e., totally out of focus) images of the interior but they are too arty to be useful. The last time I was in there was nearly twenty years ago, and I wasn't 'digital' then.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Yes, the little country congregation where I spent the bulk of my coC years had some really beautiful and expensive, genuine leaded, stained glass windows. The old standard double hung windows were falling out and had to be replaced. The rich couple who ran the church insisted on going back with the stained glass. It was really the wife that demanded them and they put up most of the money to cover the cost...they could get pretty much whatever they were willing to pay for and a blind eye was always turned towards any indiscretions committed by their children...Funny how that works. The windows looked hopelessly out of place in that otherwise averagely drab coC building.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
longdistancerunner

Post by longdistancerunner »

There was actually a big controversy over the design of the building of the CoC on Union Ave in Memphis TN. People felt the building was too opulent and not in the conservative traditions of the CoC.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

One cofc I attended for almost a decade, an old wooden building, had a stained glass window of MLK, Jr. A friend there told me about it, but I never actually saw it. I think it had been covered / boarded up, because cofc. I hope that whoever bought the place after our group left was able to save the window and find a place for it to be properly displayed.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:05 pm One cofc I attended for almost a decade, an old wooden building, had a stained glass window of MLK, Jr. A friend there told me about it, but I never actually saw it. I think it had been covered / boarded up, because cofc. I hope that whoever bought the place after our group left was able to save the window and find a place for it to be properly displayed.
They had to board him up. He might have come down out of that window and slapped silly the CoC preacher for saying something stupid
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:53 pm
Ivy wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:05 pm One cofc I attended for almost a decade, an old wooden building, had a stained glass window of MLK, Jr. A friend there told me about it, but I never actually saw it. I think it had been covered / boarded up, because cofc. I hope that whoever bought the place after our group left was able to save the window and find a place for it to be properly displayed.
They had to board him up. He might have come down out of that window and slapped silly the CoC preacher for saying something stupid
I know, right? I don't know if it was boarded up when this church bought it (I wasn't a member when they bought it), or if they boarded it up themselves. Because, how horrible to have a stained glass window featuring MLK, Jr.? I am going to guess it was for a variety of cofc "reasons". Main one being that he wasn't cofc, and that they weren't to adulate a "man" by featuring an image.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I wonder if they had a stained glass window of Marshall Keeble they would have let it stay

Keeble was cool. He shook hands with anyone, even white women. Foy Wallace didn't like it and threatened violence if he saw such a thing. Keeble was like fffftttt at you Foy.
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

The 'institutional' church that ran opposition to my dad's NI church for about 20 years had 3 different locations in their lifespan. They first met in a store front. Then in a somewhat larger building that I think had been the office space for a boat repair business. Finally, as history unfolded, the Slovak Lutherans went defunct and they were able to buy that building at a very low price. It had some stained glass panels. They failed about 6-7 years ago and it sits empty now.